If you run a program and get an error that the program you are trying to run requires the Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Runtime, you can use this guide to install the package to get your program working again.
When developers create a Windows program using Microsoft Visual Studio 2015, there are certain Dynamic Link Libraries (DLLs) that their programs are linked against in order to work properly.
These DLLs are distributed through the Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Runtime, and if the package is not installed, users will experience errors indicating that the DLLs are missing or that the runtime needs to be installed.
For example, the video game Valorant received an update today that did not include the Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 runtime, causing the game to not work after the update was installed.
When users launch Valorant, they are greeted with the following error instead.
“The following components are required to run this program: Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Runtime”
The good news is that this problem is really easy to fix by downloading and installing the runtime from the Microsoft website.
To install the Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Runtime, follow these steps:
- Go to the Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable by Microsoft page and click the icon Download button.
- You will be taken to a page where you will be asked to choose whether you want to download the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows. Select the desired version and click the button Next button. If you are not sure which version you need, you can use this guide to determine what you need.
BleepingComputer offers to download and install as x86 AND x64 version of the runtime so that there are no problems in the future.
- The files will now be downloaded to your computer. Once downloaded, double click the downloaded vc_redist.x64.exe file.
- The Microsoft Visual C++-2015 Redistributable screen appears and asks you to accept the license terms. Check the box “I agree” and click on the button Install button.
- If Windows prompts you to allow the program to make changes or continue, click Yes or Let button.
- Upon completion, the program will display a message stating that it has been successfully installed.
- Now follow the same steps to install vc_redist.x86.exe lead time.
- Now you can close the installer.
If you already had the Visual C++ 2015 Runtime installed, you can run the above redistributables and repair.
You can now try running the program that was giving the missing runtime error earlier and it should work again.